Certificate II in Electro-technology (Career Start) is a pathway to an apprenticeship in the electrical trades while earning up to 50 credits towards Stage 1 of the South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE).
On completion, students are awarded a nationally recognised pre-apprenticeship qualification.
In this hands-on two year course studied in Year 11 and Year 12, students spend one day week preparing for employment by learning work-specific skills in a simulated work environment that meets the needs of the electrical industry.
Topics include: apply work health and safety practices in the workplace, solve problems in d.c. circuits, fabricate, assemble and dismantle utilities industry components, fix and secure electro-technology equipment, attach cords and plugs to electrical equipment for connection to single phase and apply environmentally and sustainable energy procedures in the energy sector.
Students also spend 140 hours in a workplace undertaking Structured Workplace Learning to gain on-the-job training and mentoring while developing their technical skills and becoming more employable.
Year 1 core units
- UEENEEE101A Apply Work Health & Safety practices in the workplace 20 HRS
- UEENEEE104A Solve problems in d.c. circuits 80 HRS
- UEENEEE102A Fabricate, assemble and dismantle utilities industry components 40 HRS
- UEENEEE105A Fix and secure electrotechnology equipment 20 HRS
- UEENEEP024A Attach cords and plugs to electrical equipment for connection to single phase 20 HRS
- UEENEEK142A Apply environmentally and sustainable energy procedures in the energy sector 20 HRS
Year 2 core units
- UEENEEE141A Use of routine equipment/plant/technologies in an electrotechnology environment 60 HRS
- UEENEEE148A Carry out routine work activities in an energy sector environment 40 HRS
- UEENEEE179A Identify and select components, accessories and materials for energy sector work activities 20 HRS
- UEENEED101A Use Computer Applications relevant to a Workplace 20 HRS
- UEENEEE107A Use drawings, diagrams, schedules, standards, codes and specifications 40 HRS
This is a Training Guarantee for SACE Students (TGSS) approved course where eligibility criteria and fees apply. For further information, please refer to the Work Ready website and the home school VET Coordinator.
Certificate II in Electro-technology (Career Start) can be studied as a stand-alone Vocational Education and Training subject or as part of a School-based Apprenticeship.
To see when the next Certificate II in Electro-technology course is being offered, please check the online calendar. To book your place in the next course, please contact your home school VET Coordinator.