Certificate II in Construction Pathways Stage I gives Year 11 students a pathway towards an apprenticeship in the construction industry while earning up to 60 credits towards Stage 1 of the South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE).
On completion, students are awarded a nationally recognised apprenticeship qualification and Recognition of Prior Learning in an Australian Apprenticeship. In this 35 week course, students spend one day a week preparing for employment by learning work-specific skills in a simulated work environment that meets the needs of the construction industry. Students must demonstrate competency in 12 units covering the knowledge and skills typical of those performed by apprenticeships in the early stages of training.
Topics include: an introduction to the construction industry, essential occupational health and safety requirements, industrial and work organisation structure, communication skills, work planning and the basic use of tools and materials. Students also spend 70 hours in a workplace undertaking Structured Workplace Learning to gain on-the-job training and mentoring while developing their technical skills and becoming more employable.
Certificate II in Construction can be studied as a stand-alone Vocational Education and Training subject or as part of a School-based Apprenticeship.
- CPCCCM1012A Work effectively and sustainably in the construction industry 20 HRS
- CPCCCM1013A Plan and organise work 20 HRS
- CPCCCM1014A Conduct workplace communication 20 HRS
- CPCCCM1015A Carry out measurement and calculations 20 HRS
- CPCCCM2001A Read and interpret plans and specifications 36 HRS
- CPCCOHS2001A Apply OHS requirements, policies and procedures in the construction industry 20 HRS
- CPCCBL2001A Handle and prepare bricklaying and blocklaying materials (A) 16 HRS
- CPCCBL2002A Use bricklaying and blocklaying tools and equipment (A) 30 HRS
- CPCCWF2001A Handle Wall and Floor Tiling Materials 32 HRS
- CPCCWF2002A Use wall and floor tiling tools and equipment 96 HRS
- CPCCCM2004A Handle construction materials (H) 16 HRS
- CPCCCM2005B Use construction tools and equipment (imported) 96 HRS
Additional fee for service module
- CPCCOHS1001A Work safely in the construction industry.
This is a Training Guarantee for SACE Students (TGSS) approved course where eligibility criteria and fees apply. For further information, please refer to the Work Ready website.
Certificate II in Construction is the first step towards Partial Certificate III in Carpentry at the Grand Junction Trade Training Centre. This course can also lead to other trades within the construction industry such as tiling, plastering and bricklaying.
To see when the next Certificate II in Construction course is being offered, please check the online calendar. To book your place in the next course, please contact your home school VET Coordinator.